Bulb Table
I
found an Irish designer Joseph Walsh who mostly designs items with wood. Joseph
Walsh opened his studio and workshop in 1999 Co. Cork, Ireland. He is a self-taught designer. The way
he makes designs from wood looks beautiful but it does not really look
functional. In his artworks there is high level of professionalism, but by
looking at his designed furniture’s, they are not comfortable. The pieces that
he used to create a design follow a different path unlike the classical
furniture that we use today. He composes elasticity of the material, such as
most of the chairs that he designed look like they are doing some kind of yoga
positions.
The materials that he used are native yew and olive ash and it is covered
by white oil and lacquer. He stripes the wood into thin layers and
reconstructing it into a composition.
One of his designed
furniture that I want to talk about is this round table with its’ ten chairs. First
of all I am going to argue that there would not feet ten people, because the
table is too small for ten people to be sitting and
eating a dinner.
I will start from
the design of the chair, because that is one of the most important things that need
to be convenient when you are having your rest. I do not imagine putting my
back on those chairs, because they are so thin and they would probably hurt
your shoulders and put you in pain. So this is something for sure that I would
not recommend anyone to buy.
The table has a big
hole in the middle of it, where a big vase has taken a place. If that is a vase for fresh flowers in the middle, how
would I change the water? By looking closely on his designed table and vase
there is not any way to be able to change the water of a vase. This would be a wasting of money if I were to by
this furniture, because no one would like to have something in his/her house that
would not do its’ job. The vase is taking too much space and if you have to
make a dinner for your guest you are going to need more room for the food to
put on the table, especially I am coming from Armenian family and we love to
have different types of meals and dishes whenever we are having guest over to
our house. There is another concern comes up about this cool design. Where people
are going to feet their legs? The bottom of a table is designed like it is a
garlic. It is too big and people have to put their legs somewhere else, bedsides
underneath of the table. I would prefer to improve the design by making
something simple to hold the table.
Source: Joseph Walsh Studio 2011





No comments:
Post a Comment